- The cervix is located in the lower part of the uterus called uterine cervix
- It connects the body of the uterus by the cervix part called endocervix
- At the birth canal by the part named exocervix.
Main forms of cervical cancer
- Cervical cancers is a cancer malignant of the cervix or within the cervical area
- It may form in the interior lining of the cervix, junction of the vagina and the uterus.
- Pre-cancerous cells which are described as cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN)
- Squamous intraepithelial lesion (SIL) and dysplasia
- Squamous cell carcinoma; Responsible for 80% to 90% of the cervical cancers,it begins where the exocervix joins the endocervix
- Adenocarcinoma; develops from the mucus-producing gland cells of the endocervix.
- In some cases some of the cancers can be as a result of a combination of both squamous cells carcinoma and adenocarcinoma, the carcinoma is known as adenosquamous carcinoma or